- Who for? Someone wanting to experience the thrill
- Who with? BGA Approved Pilot in Command
- How long? Approx 20 minutes flying time. Allow 1-2 hours in total.
- How many flights? One aerotow or two winch launched flights
- Where? Nationwide - Click here to find a club
- *May vary depending on operating conditions.
- An aero tow launch followed by a flight of approximately 20 minutes. You will experience engineless flight and will get a new view of the world. …OR
- 2 winch launches. You will experience the exhilaration of being launched skywards by a cable attached to a powerful winch engine. The angle of ascent and acceleration may catch you unawares at first but winching provides a reliable, low cost way of getting airborne. Depending on conditions, you should expect a launch to around 1000′ followed by a 5-10 minute flight on each occasion. …OR
- 20 minutes in a motor glider. Here the glider will take off and climb using its own engine. Once a suitable height has been reached, this will be turned off and you will be gliding! If conditions are not suitable for soaring, the engine can be turned back on again to guarantee you your full 20 minutes worth.
*Not all options available at all clubs
Your flight(s) are designed to provide an introduction to gliding. In all cases your flight will be preceded by a briefing by your pilot in command who has been specially trained and approved by the BGA to conduct these flights. You will get a real taste of this fantastic airborne sport and will have the opportunity to get a feel for the glider’s controls and handling.
We are sure that you will thoroughly enjoy your flight (although a few pre-take off butterflies are not uncommon!) If you feel that you would like to follow your introductory flight with further flying and perhaps aim to fly solo yourself, be sure to ask for details of what your chosen club offers. Going solo is quicker and a lot cheaper than many people imagine.
Advice for the day
On the day, you should arrive at the airfield and follow any instructions given to you about where to report and what to do. Gliding is an adventurous flying activity. Although the risk is carefully managed at all BGA clubs, flying in a glider is not as safe as flying in a commercial airliner and, as with anything involving machinery, there can be hazards even on the ground for the uninitiated. You will be fully briefed before your lesson in the twin seat glider.
Wear comfortable clothing and appropriate footwear and be prepared for cold winds on exposed airfields and, equally, for the warmth from sitting in a perspex cockpit in bright sunshine! Sunglasses and a hat are good ideas and feel free to take a camera if you want.
Friends and family who want to watch will normally be made most welcome, but do check with the club first. Make sure to bring your voucher with you and hand this over before the flight.
Terms & Conditions
- This voucher is valid for a period of one year from the date of purchase.
- All glider flights are dependent on the weather. Flight duration and heights are indicative but may vary due to local conditions. It is recommended that you confirm that flying will be possible before travelling to the airfield.
- Maximum and minimum pilot sizes and weights vary from glider type to glider type. If you are over 6’2”, under 5’ or over 15 stone, it is advisable to check with the club before booking your flight.
- Gliding is an adventurous flying activity. Although the risk is carefully managed at British Gliding Association clubs, flying in a glider is not as safe as flying in a commercial airliner.
- Before taking your flight, you will be required to become (at no additional cost) a temporary member of your chosen club. In doing so, you will be agreeing to the terms and conditions of that club.
- In addition to your flight, at most clubs this voucher will entitle you to three months temporary membership. If such membership interests you, its availability should be verified before committing yourself to a particular club.
- The list of participating clubs may vary from time to time. Please check the up-to-date list on the BGA web site.
- The BGA in selling this voucher has authority to act as agent of the club to which this voucher is ultimately presented. Your briefing and flight are provided entirely by the club and any issues relating to the flight should be directed to the club concerned.
Do you think you are ready to give gliding a go?Buy Discover Gliding Voucher Now